Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The other day I woke up with this thought in my head....'cultivate your garden, cultivate your soul'......being barely awake, I was like......OK, where the heck did that come from?  So, I took it literally as I had been thinking about getting out on my deck and cleaning up all my plants as Spring is just around the corner.  So, I spent the morning getting that done, and as good as it felt to knock one thing off my ever growing To-Do list, I just felt.....um, ok......but just left it at that.  As the days went by, the thought stuck with me and then I started thinking about it, a little more 'out of the box'.  We plant seeds everyday in the form of the words that we say and the thoughts that we think. Those seeds can be both positive and negative....they can take root and grow and can change the course of our day and if left to cultivate, our lives.  When we have a day where we are saying nice things and thinking happy thoughts, our mood and behaviour reflects it.  The problem is when the 'Negative Nelly' takes a spot on our shoulder and starts planting those negative seeds, we become grouchy, we say not so nice things to the people around us and our thoughts are generally grim.

Have you ever been having a pretty good day and then you meet up with one of your friends and they are in one of their 'moods' and after they go away, you now reflect their mood?  We don't only have to worry about the seeds that we sow, we have to worry about the seeds that the people that we spend time with sow as well!!   And those negative seeds seem to take root and grow faster than anything and trying to get rid of them is not so easy. They are definitely the WEEDS of our mind and soul.

I am the only one that has control over my thoughts and words.  No one else can think or say them for me. I have the final say as to what they are going to be.  In thinking about this, it made me more aware of what I am saying and what I am thinking.  Am I going to brighten someones day with my words and behaviour or am I going to darken theirs, so that they match mine?  I think if we took more control over and were more aware of our thoughts and words, just by that one action we would make this planet a nicer place to live.   We get stuck in our own little worlds, not thinking or caring about how our actions/words can effect the people that we encounter each day. Whether we like it or not, we are all connected in some way and we all have to share what space we have left on this planet.

Don't get me wrong, I am going to have bad days when it seems like everything is going wrong, but how I react to it, is what is important,  I can CHOOSE to be victim to those negative thoughts and words, or I can recognize them for what they are, acknowledge them and then move on and CHOOSE to replace them with positive words and thoughts.  This isn't easy and it takes lots and lots of practice, but in time you will notice that  as you train that wonderful muscle that is your brain, you will become a lot quicker at being able to flip the switch from dark to light.

So, my question to you each and every day is.........What seeds are you going to plant today?

No comments:

Post a Comment