Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Do Our Thoughts and Words Actually Have Any Power?

Back in Dec. 2010, I went through a trauma that caused me to completely change the way I thought and looked at the world. For the first year after the trauma, I knew something had to change, but honestly, wasn’t really sure what. Then in Dec. 2011, my lovely friend and chiropractor, Liz, mentioned that she really thought that I would benefit from a 4 day seminar that was coming up. I figured that I didn’t have anything left to loose, so why not. That seminar was the catalyst for the journey that I have been on ever since.  I learned more about myself at that seminar than I had in all the decades before. One thing that really stuck in my mind was this story that our facilitator, Tim O’Kelly told us about an experiment that he had read about in regards to plants. In the book, ‘The Secret Life of Plants’, Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird, did experiments on plants where they had a plant connected up to electrodes to measure if there were any difference in electrical impulses when different stimuli were presented.  The part that really changed things for the researchers, was at one point Peter just ‘thought’ about lighting a match and putting it to one of the leaves, and at that exact moment, the readings from the plant went off the charts! Here was an example where a simple thought caused a physical reaction in another organism. The thought of this stuck with me and nagged at me ever since.

Growing up in a Christian household, there was always lots of talk of the power of positive thinking. The problem was, there wasn’t much example of it. So, I always heard that I must think positive, but I couldn’t really find anyone that was actually modelling it, so the belief system was put in place that it wasn’t really an important thing to do.  It was great in theory, but what was the point? So, as I grew up, I never really gave it much thought.

Along with that, we have all heard the rhyme, ‘sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me’. Well, again, great in theory, but we ALL know that words DO hurt. They cause an emotional reaction. Now people may then say, ‘oh, you’re being too sensitive’, ‘you’re too emotional’, but the fact of the matter is, when someone says something negative to me, yes I feel an emotional reaction, but a lot of times that emotion is accompanied by a physical reaction as well. It could be pain, stiffness, upset stomach, allergies, etc. It took me a lot of years to actually make that connection that emotions always have a physical representation.

At the beginning of this year, I came across an article talking about a rice experiment performed by Dr. Masaru Emoto. When I looked further into it, I found that Dr. Emoto was a researcher and alternative healer from Japan that had done many experiments showing how words, thoughts and intentions affect the physical world. He had also done an experiment showing how the crystalline nature of water changed in regards to what words and intentions were put towards it. I was fascinated by this!

This got me thinking. I didn’t have the equipment to be able to re-create the plants experiment that I originally heard about, and I definitely didn’t have an electron microscope sitting around that I could use to see how the crystalline structure of water changed, BUT, I could re-create the rice experiment. The thought of that created quite an excitement within me. Here I had the chance to actually give myself PROOF that words and thoughts did actually have a physical affect in the world.

As excited as I was about setting up my own experiment, a part of me was resisting. What happens if I didn’t get any results? At one level I do believe that words and thoughts have power, but if the experiment didn’t work, would that mean that all that I believed would be WRONG? That doubt kept mulling around in my head. About a month later, I was at another workshop that referenced Dr. Emoto’s work with water. Again, that inner prodding was poking me, ‘DO THE EXPERIMENT!’. In March I went out and bought some of the things I needed, but again, I procrastinated in actually getting it going.

Finally, at the beginning of May, I decided that I HAD to do this. I just couldn’t shake the feeling that this was something that I needed to do. So, I set it all up (realized afterwards that Dr. Emoto cooked his rice first before putting it in the jars, but oh well!), and got ready to share with the world what the results were.



I cannot tell you the amount of relief that I had that I actually got results! That doubt was always there, but now, I could finally put that to rest. I kept the jars going for a second month, and from the pictures, you can see that the changes continued to intensify. Here are some things that really stuck out for me while I was doing this.

Every day, when I looked at the Positive jar, I just sat in amazement. I couldn’t believe how clear the water, to this day, remains. When it first started, there was a little bit of colour change and particulate matter, but as time went on, the water remained virtually transparent and colourless. In the negative jar, on most days, I could barely stomach looking at it. The Yellow colour of the water just kept intensifying and the destruction of the rice kernels continues. I now equate that to how negative words and thoughts end up causing the physical reaction in our bodies.
The human body is made up of about 70% water, so when I look at how the water changed in the negative jar, to me when we speak negative words and have negative thoughts, we are in turn poisoning our cells.  This would make sense why those emotions in a lot of cases result in pain and inflammation in our bodies. I imagine the water that makes up our cells turning that bright yellow colour and how that must inhibit the function of our cells and then I look at how clear the water is in the positive jar, and want to make sure that my cells stay looking like that, so that they can easily do the functions that they need to do each day. As for the Ignored jar…….it started out quite milky looking, but now in the second month, is now getting a yellow tinge. So even though no words were spoken to it, it is still feeling the response of being ignored.
Dr. Emoto first did his experiments to show how we need to be mindful when speaking to children, and how it can affect their physiology, but I think we need to expand this to how we speak and think to ALL of the people around us, and most importantly TO OUR SELVES!

Now more than ever, I am convinced that our Inner Dialogue not only affects our mental and emotional health, but also our physical health. Change our minds……..change our bodies. 

What are your thoughts on this? I know that for a lot of people, this may be thinking ‘outside of the box’, and I encourage you to do your own experiment. When you see it physically manifesting right in front of your eyes, it changes your perspective.

If you want to check out the articles about Dr. Emoto’s work on the rice experiment and with the water (which includes a 1 hr documentary), check out these links:


Also, check out this excerpt from the 1970’s on the original plant experiments that started me thinking about all of this:


I am thinking that the next experiment that I want to do is this one on talking to plants:


If we can just increase our awareness to the words that we say and the thoughts that we think, and learn to control and shift them, we can all live much happier and healthier lives.
Hugs,

S


No comments:

Post a Comment